Welcome to the The Hampshire Jap Car Club.

Thread: What tint?

BANNED
    Name
    Charlotte

Default What tint?

Hey
    So my car is booked in to get the rear 3 windows tinted in a couple weeks time, just wondering what everyone recommends is the best shade to go for? I've been told to go for a limousine tint which is apparently the darkest option?
    Thanks

HJC Paid Member
    Name
    Will Marrs

Default Re: What tint?

Aren’t window tinting films more so referred to in the percentage terms these days, ie:

5% visible light transmission = darkest aka ‘limo tint’.
    18% to 22% visible light transmission for a factory finish tint.
    35% to 70% visible light transmission, adjusting look of the glass to a greater degree of subtlety.

Personally I think windows when too dark, look gash not least if you’re looking over your shoulder you still want to clearly see out from the inside.

BANNED
    Name
    Charlotte

Ah yeah the percentage thing makes more sense!
    Same here, I think the darkest might be too dark haha
    Thanks for your help

golly gosh posh patrol
    Name
    Ben

I tend not to go too dark or you can never reverse park your car in the dark!

BANNED
    Name
    Charlotte

That's a good point, I hadn't thought of that!
    Thanks

Club Administrator
    Name
    Alan

Mine is 19% (which is the same as the premiers got as standard) and is fairly dark but you can still see in when you stand up close. Limo black isn't as bad as everyone makes out. My Mrs (rhirhi_EK3 on here) had limo black on her Ek and that was fine and has just gone for the same on her FN2 civic.

If they do it I would also suggest that you have security film fitted to the front side windows. It is clear so gives no tint but when the sun is on it the film helps to make them look darker to balance it out and it helps prevent fade from the sun. As an added bonus it makes it much more difficult to break into the car as mine was testament to. The glass stayed in tact even after it shattered.

BANNED
    Name
    Charlotte

That's good to know!
    I've not heard of security film before so I'll look into that, was wondering about it looking silly with 5% on the back and nothing on the front but that sounds like a good idea
    thanks for your help!

HJC Non Paid Member
    Name
    iain Beagley

It depends if any tint in glass anyway. Took mine yesterday and the fronts are at 75 which is legal limit but dont look very tinted at all so going to go darker but not as dark as back ones. Fitter said if too dark the police cant actually do you but can suggest you remove it. We had the freelander done darker at back and lighter at front just so it dosent look too different at a glance. Looks good.

BANNED
    Name
    Charlotte

Yeah I heard the fronts have to be at least 75 to be legal, I was thinking about getting them done but decided to just get the rear ones done for now as the police like to stop me enough!
    I went for 5% on the rears in the end and it looks alright but might eventually do the fronts so it will be like your freelander

Thread Information