Welcome to the The Hampshire Jap Car Club.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HJC Non Paid Member
    Name
    Hatch

Default Santa Pod Dial in Day Rx7vs Firebird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zseIVSbHdtM

This firebird was the loudest car their it made you quake, this car was a beast!! I had a start on him he never caught me up.

This was my best start I think but memorable to race an American classic. He had a Dial in time of 12.3 secs mine was 14.87 so I started on the green light before him and he never caught me up he was in my mirror all the way but its a shame the video does not show this. I got 14 secs near enough dead on and took my foot off before the line so he caught up. My time would of been in the 13 secs but I needed to get close to my time he was way off his so I beat him in the race. My start was a little jittery because I went over the sensor and had to ease back you can see at the start the marshall saying back!! think I put firebird off in the race. He was in the mirror but did not catch me. I had a top speed of 104 miles in 14 secs think my reaction time was 0.2 seconds for first distance. I could get hooked on this but very damaging for your car because the track is a slight lining of rubber and it is sprayed with glue not like tarmac. I messed my diff up from to much power on next video when it gets uploaded.

Hatch
    Last edited by hatch007; 24-03-2015 at 02:31 AM.

Club Administrator
    Name
    Alan

Default Re: Santa Pod Dial in Day Rx7vs Firebird

Nice little vid there. You could probably move up into the 13s bracket with a bit of practice. The main things are the car seems to run nice and straight and your enjoying it. Once the bug bites it is very, very hard to stop.

HJC Non Paid Member
    Name
    Hatch

Hi Alan yeah your right their!! but I am not doing that anymore its an expensive hobby!! think I would prefer trackdays etc. anyways see you soon at Japfest or before. Can you post message when you guys are having a meet during the week or whenever and I will have a drive out venture over your way.

Hatch

Club Administrator
    Probably buying bit's for my GTR then shelving them
    Name
    Dave

I watched this yesterday - as above, great to see you enjoyed it. I've done the pod a few times in the past, non of them ended well with gearbox breakages on 2 days out. But... It is good fun while it lasts - more for the effort of trying to better your time.

HJC Non Paid Member
    Name
    Steve Clark

I'm going in July - any advice?

HJC Non Paid Member
    Name
    jason

Have fun! You can easily get annoyed with not beating times and end up spinning through gears well I did last time lol
    Last edited by jay20; 25-03-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Club Administrator
    Name
    Alan

As jay has put the main thing is to have fun. Start of easy, as though you were making a quick getaway from a set of traffic lights. The time only starts when you are actually moving on a run what you brung so don't worry to much about racing the tree. once you have a consistent time then you can start playing with launch revs, tyre pressures and so on.

HJC Non Paid Member
    Name
    Hatch

Hi Steve have a great day when you go!! What I will say is to be careful when you start with the revs its not like a road! and warm your engine up. I did my diff in because on my last run got my confidence higher and wanted more revs to get a better start but I was jerky with the release and the small cogs in my diff have been skimmed off!! MY FAULT!!! If you had seen the state of it when the guy replaced mine. Just enjoy the day and remember, it is better to come out with your car in one piece than a bill like I had of 400 quid. worked out an expensive day plus petrol getting their which I spent an easy 100 plus. Oh one other thing is that I had a sound guy their who had a flat bed! he put my car on, and took my out of Santa Pod to a service station so I could ring the AA. I was told they do not like going into Santa Pod anyway I would not risk it incase I was not covered,(which I am sure that I was not). I got taken home on a AA transporter and I lied where I had been. I just said visiting the girlfriend in Ipswich. (Thanks to Gary Gooding at Santa Pod Top guy for getting me out of their).

Look after your car its great fun but its only for a day and addictive as hell

Hatch

HJC Non Paid Member
    Name
    Steve Clark

Thanks man. My car is 4 wheel drive, or all wheel drive as Subaru call it! Is that going to make a difference? Because its 4wd I'm kind of limited as to how I can pull away, for some reason if I rev the nuts off it then go flat out it dies for a couple of seconds then kicks in, but that will screw my times up! The way round it is to almost pull away twice if that makes sense? So I put my foot half down then when its rolling stamp on the accelerator - is this approach likely to fail on the road at Santa Pod?
    Also, great pics and videos, looks like you had a great time! Are you going back?

Club Administrator
    Name
    Alan

As it is 4wd first thing to say is DO NOT try doing a burn out. It is a surefire way with a road car to brake something. Drive around the water and line up as normal. The dying and then going could indicate a problem maybe with boost cut or something else. I would get it looked at but the technique you say is pretty much perfect for pod. There is massive amounts of grip as it is layers of rubber and glue with you drive on. If you walk on it then it can rip the soles off your shoes it is that sticky!

Thread Information